Saturday, October 13, 2018

Slowly- things are getting accomplished- House update

It always goes slower than you think it will and its always more frustrating than you anticipate and always feels like nothing is really getting done. Except, it is. 

Slowly, so slowly, things are getting done. 

I finally have curtains in the living room and I could not be happier about it. Curtains in this particular spot have always been an issue. The space is over 12 feet long and in the past, I never wanted to spend the money to get a real rod, so I made do with a DIY project, and some sheers from another room, and it was fine, but not exactly what I wanted. But thanks to some gift cards from Bed Bath and Beyond, and a handy husband, there is a real rod up with real drapes and I am real happy about it. It really makes a difference to have curtains up, finally. It suddenly feels more like a finished room.

Pillows, rugs, coffee table, side tables and somehow hiding the TV wires are next on the list. I also want to change the curtains in the breakfast nook which is on the same wall. The black and gold that are there now feel heavy and old in the lighter, whiter, brighter kitchen They were fine in my dark blue and Oak kitchen. Now they are out of place in my light blue and white kitchen. I am looking around for them now.





Some progress was made outside as well. What started as trimming a few branches in order to move a shed into the backyard, quickly turned into cutting all the limbs. I didn't expect the tree to be cut back this severely, but I agree it does look a lot better in my back yard. There is a lot more light in the back of the house, and the squirrels, cats, raccoons and who knows what else was climbing the braches cant jump onto the house (or the birdfeeders) anymore. However, now the husband decided he wants a new shed built in the backyard and not the older one moved in. 








It feels like the ladders are always up in my house. On one hand, it means things are getting done and I am happy to see them. On the other hand.... they are always up.  One Sunday afternoon, we changed out almost all the air filter grates on the first floor. They had been half painted over and the ones that were not painted were browned with age. They had been up there for at least 18 years.  Changing them out sounds like such a miniscule job, but it took all afternoon and it made a huge difference. The look so clean and  fresh. 








A project that was not really on my immediate to-do list was getting the yard on shape. I realize it has to be done and I have long neglected it in favor of working on the inside.   This little job was not as far back on my husband's list as I thought it was because I came home to find it half tackled. There use to be a brick planter along side this wall, but now it is gone. Frankly, it was just holding a box of weeds.  In the last 14 years, I had attempted and failed at keeping this area in good shape. I had tried so many plants here but nine really took. For years the gardenia was in good shape, but the weeds were uncontrollable.  After the flood, the weeds became small trees and now everything is cut down and will be completely gone soon. The plan is to keep it a grassy area (for now).  I am sure I'll get a wild idea and try and plant something else here soon. As soon as my attention is on the outside again, that is. Who knows when that will be.








No comments:

Post a Comment

BOBBIE LATELY | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | DESIGN BY COLOR CRUSH CREATIVE