Friday, May 13, 2016

csa- summer box 1 and 2

CSA farm box started again.

Box #1 had three heads of lettuce (all different varieties), 6 yellow squash, 5 zucchini, 3 onions, 5 red potatoes, head of broccoli, 5 carrots, a lot of turnips and turnip greens, and one giant radish.

Box #2 was almost the same. One head of lettuce,  6 yellow squash, 4 zucchini, 3 onions, 3 potatoes, head of cauliflower, 3 carrots, turnips, turnip greens and green beans.

So far, I've roasted the squash and had with meatballs.  I put most of the first box of veggies in with a roast and a jar of gravy and they were delicious. I brought large salads to work for lunch and gave half the lettuce away.

The second box is going to be a stir fry. I'm throwing almost all the veggies together and adding chicken, rice and soy sauce.  I am also planning a lasagna with zucchini noodles instead of pasta, and cooking the turnip greens with bacon this weekend.

I'm thinking a veggie lasagna may be coming soon, or veggie soup, and corn bread.

One problem is the box comes on Monday evenings. After work, I am either tired or I am just not in the mood to do anything other than put all the veggies in the fridge.  My plan for the box #3 is to wash and cut everything, so even if nothing gets cooked Monday, its ready and waiting for me another day after work.

I think I need to plan better, too. Its hard to plan what to do with all the veggies when you don't know what you are getting or how much you are getting. But, that is also the beauty of the CSA box. All organic, home grown and taste better than what's at the store.

im linked here at foodie friday

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Wish I had this opportunity where I live.

    ReplyDelete

BOBBIE LATELY | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | DESIGN BY COLOR CRUSH CREATIVE